Summer School and Teaching Materials
Energy Modelling Platform for Africa (EMP-A) 2021
The EMP-A 2021 aims to contribute the creation of optimized investments for the energy transition in Africa. It is an excellent opportunity to acquire free training, access to discussion forums, and coaching skills in models and tools for your energy planning needs.
Five tracks on energy planning and investment tools have been developed with UNDESA, IAEA, UNDP, IRENA, The World Bank Group, GIZ, the OpTIMUS community of practice, several universities and CCG.
The programme is led by UNECA and hosted by the University of Mauritius.
The course runs (online) from 22nd November to 10th December 2021. Competition for space is high and space is limited.
Deadline for registration is 11.00 pm GMT+1 on the 22nd of October
In partnership distance learning courses and tools are available to help build capacity in partner countries to address the fundamentals of planning for climate compatible growth such as:
- Setting up basic energy (and by implication key greenhouse gas) statistics
- Understanding energy supply and demand investments. (Where demand includes sectors such as transport, industry (of all sectors) to support growth
- Producing roadmaps for electrifying households (to enable access to health, education, clean cooking and other development services)
- Understanding cross-sectoral impacts and interdependencies or resource use, infrastructure and supply chains
- The financial appraisal of new transport and energy infrastructure
The tools and self learning courses are free, and there are several capacity building programs in this partnership that countries that #CCG can plug into or accelerate. #CCG, via the OpTIMUS community, can help ensure that national analysts are taking advantage of associated capacity building programs.
The #CCG programme gratefully acknowledges the direct and indirect contributions made by the following organizations to the Summer School:
- International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA)
- World Bank Group (WBG)
- International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)
- Energy Sector Management Assistance Program (ESMAP)
- United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UNDESA)
- United Nations Development Program (UNDP)
- United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
- International Center for Theoretical Physics (ICTP)
- The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNECSO)
- The United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA)
- The OpTIMUS Community of Practice
Photo Credit: Heyla Gostechie/Unsplash
OLCreate: CCG Track 1
OnSSET/The Global Electrification Platform (open.edu)
OLCreate: CCG Track 2
Energy and Flexibility Modelling: OSeMOSYS & FlexTool (open.edu)
OLCreate: CCG Track 7
Energy Balance Studio and MAED (demand projections) (open.edu)
OLCreate: CCG Track 8
Introduction to CLEWS Climate, land-use, energy and water systems) (open.edu)
OLCreate: CCG Track 9
Infrastructure and Climate Resilience (open.edu)